Before I report a bug, I thought I'd ask if I'm doing something wrong.

I have a plugin that has a bunch of mojo's as well as defines
components.xml to set up a new lifecycle.

I recently converted it from maven-plugin-plugin 2.9 to 3.1 and used java5
annotations.  Note that the mojo's are in groovy.
I also upgraded the maven version from 2.2.1 to 3.0.4 (which, on our small
team, we can enforce that everyone is using).

I believe most of that should be irrelevant, but I am unclear on the
details of Maven determines the lifecycle based on the <packaging>
declaration and plugins.

I did not change my components.xml at all.    But now, the projects the use
the packaging get an "Unknown packaging" error.

The components.xml is still in the plugin's jar in my maven repository in
the same location.

Has anyone else run into this issue?  When running maven on the projects
that use the defined lifecycle, does maven require any other information
about the new lifecycle other than the components.xml being in the plugin's
jar?  I don't see it, but it there something in the plugin.xml (plugin
descriptor) that perhaps has changed?

If this warrants a bug, let me know and I'll create one with relevant
files, etc.

Thanks,
Ben

--