While I'm sure it's academically interesting, I'm not sure if this
discussion is all that relevant for practical purposes. We
adapt/optimize for the technologies we use, and in moving to git I'm
quite convinced anything other than 1 release unit = 1 repo is
suboptimal. All the chit-chat about sparse checkouts is basically how
to live with suboptimal repos, and there is really no good reason why
we should choose to do that.

As for your considerations on mixed merge/rebase workflows, you're
describing some hard cases that are quite far from beginners workflow
that require decent understanding of how things work. I work daily
with multiple remotes (apache/github) merges and rebases and I hardly
even think about it. But then again I'm probably a black belt user.
I'm not going to scare off beginners about the wonders of rebasing
merge commits because it is a problem they shouldnt be running into.

Kristian