Since this is a plexus component implemented in Maven core [1], I don't see
any problem with adding a new Method: if the method exists in interface, it
exists in implementation.
We would have a problem if it was an interface that is expected to be
implemented by external code

So I don't see any problem with adding a new method

Regards,

Hervé

[1] http://maven.apache.org/ref/3.1-
SNAPSHOT/apidocs/org/apache/maven/project/MavenProjectHelper.html