On 31 May 2013 12:01, jieryn <jie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 1:34 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
> wrote:
> > I don't know what you mean by "send pull requests to Jenkins", if you're
> > talking about Apache's Jenkins instance or something more general from
> the
> > Jenkins project
>
> There is something called the backend-crawler which locates common
> tools that can be auto-installed by the Jenkins service itself. All
> Jenkins instances will load a JSON file, similar to the way it knows
> which plugins can be auto-installed. I meant we should perhaps send a
> pull request here:
>
> https://github.com/jenkinsci/backend-crawler/blob/master/ant_maven.groovy
>
> More information here:
>
> https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Adding+tool+auto-installer
> https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Tool+Auto-Installation
>
> > but I'm interested by the "it would be auto-installable" objective at
> least on
> > Apache's Jenkins instance
>
> Yep, that or someone with karma can just manually install it and
> enable it as the default builder? That way it won't break any builds
> which require a specific Apache Maven. But the auto-installable route
> would enable more places to just quickly enable it.. I'm not sure if
> Jenkins folks would be receptive to having an Apache Maven pre-release
> kind of thing showing up in their tool list, but off the top of my
> head I can not find a reasonable objection.

Wearing my Jenkins hat, I would not be happy with pre-release bits showing
up unless they had a clear (pre-release) tag, and I don't think there is an
easy way to uninstall tools from the build slaves...

But I think it would be a good topic to bring up at the next Jenkins Board
meeting (not that I ever attend those due to TZ issues)

Note: Given KKs view of how bad an idea reusing version numbers is, I
suspect that KK would be against the pre-release as long as we allow
respinning with the same version number... but there is no harm in asking
the question

-Stephen