Again I have to disagree.  The release manager will send an email closing the
prior release.  At this point all the prior release artifacts are junk even if
they still exist.  At some point the release manager will delete the tag and
rerun the release.  At this point the tag is still junk to everyone else
because they have no idea what the RM is doing - so they shouldn't be making
assumptions about non-released tags.  Once he sends the email though the tag
will be valid.   Sure having the revision number helps but unless the RM
completely screws up the tag should be sufficient.

Ralph