On 26 June 2013 02:59, Barrie Treloar <baerr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Then replace
>>> cd target/checkout && mvn clean deploy -Papache-release
>>> with
>>> delete target/checkout
>>> svn co <blah> to target/checkout
>>> mvn clean deploy -Papache-release
>>>
>>> Since it was mvn release:perform that created target/checkout in the
>>> first place and no one has made any changes in that directory, cd
>>
>> You cannot know that for sure.
>> People make mistakes; try things out, get distracted, forget that they
>> changed something.
>>
>>> target/checkout has the same results.
>>
>> Not guaranteed.
>
> In the end that does not matter.
>
> As long as the tag and the source release can be verified.

Which is why the revision is needed in the vote mail.

> See http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#owned-controlled-hardware,
> which links to
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/tools/releases/compare_dirs.pl
> as a helper script.

Yes, I often use that when reviewing releases to compare archives in
different formats (it's not unknown for those to disagree by more than
just EOL).

AFAIK at present the script cannot be used to compare SCM with source
archive, as there are files legitimately omitted from the source
release (e.g. doap).
In some cases there are additional generated files in the source
archive (e.g. DEPENDENCIES).

> The ASF release process does not help to ensure the release is useful,
> merely that it meets the legal obligations of the foundation.

Exactly my point.