On 27 June 2013 15:05, Ralph Goers <rgo...@apache.org> wrote:
> I do not believe that can be done with the release plugins as the pom has to
> specify the same version as the tag.  If you then rename the tag you would
> have to modify the poms in the tag, which makes the release invalid.
>
> Have you ever used the release plugin?  If not, I would suggest you try it
> and offer up patches to change it instead of carrying on this discussion as
> it is unlikely maven is going to stop using the release plugin.

This is straying further off the original topic.

Whether people use the release plugin or some other method is not
really relevant to the release vote itself.

All the process that leads up to the vote is merely a means to trying
to ensure that the release candidate as as good as possible.

What matters is the vote - the public declaration that the RC has been
reviewed and approved.
Only a PMC-approved vote can get the legal protection of the ASF.

The vote needs to be performed on input that can be readily checked by
any reviewer.
The vote has to be seen to be open and complete.
The SVN (or GIT) coordinate is an essential part of the input, as it
is the only practical way to check provenance of the files in the
archives.

Given that part of the Maven philisophy is to ensure that all plugin
versions must be specified to ensure repeatable builds, I'm a bit
surprised how much resistance there is to providing the specific
source which was used as input to the build process.

The only change that this requires to be made to the process is to add
the revision number and tag name [1] to the release vote e-mail.
Is that really too much to ask?

[1] A revision on its one is insufficient as the ASF uses a shared SVN
repo; the location within the tree is needed to be able to select the
revelant portion of the tree. The tag name is one such way to provide
the information.