Hi,

Recently I had a look at Microsoft Team Foundation Server and faced the same kind of issue. I'm not sure if you could/should reuse a WorkItem. For the maven-release-plugin this could very well be acceptable, but for commits in general? I don't think so.
If it is static, then you can make it part of the SCM-URL
If it is a system-wide setting, then create a specific scm-settings.xml.

This latter is not very well documented, or it is hard to find. In the past I've written a setup-maven-plugin[1], with which you could create such files and which has a link to the original documentation.

If the workitem is variable, then the -D option is probably the best.

Would be nice if we could think of a general solution.

Robert

[1] http://mojo.codehaus.org/setup/setup-maven-plugin/plugin-info.html