Hi,

I was wondering why using custom dependency scopes issues a warning
when the POM model is validated. Why Maven just don't ignore dependecy
scopes he cannot understand?

I was thinking to treat dependency scopes in a different way. The only
logic I've found about dependency scopes is in [1] and [2] (I'm pretty
sure there is more around), respectively how dependency scope
inheritance is computed and whether to import POM dependencies with
scope "import".

Can this logic be encapsulated in a component which is able to track
other optional "dependency scope" components? Each "dependency scope"
component will define a new dependency scope and will encapsulate the
rules about it (i.e. what happens if a dependency of the given scope
is inherited, if it can be imported, and so on).

An alternative and simpler solution could be that a "dependency scope"
component maps a custom dependency scope to one standard scope defined
by Maven, so to establish an "is-a" relationship between a custom
dependency scope and a standard one.

What do you think?

[1]:
https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/master/maven-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/project/artifact/MavenMetadataSource.java#L351