Each circle is a project in a multi-project build (I think we need to clean up
our terminology, I stopped saying multi-module built so I don't have to explain
the difference between a module and project).

Kristian is correct it's the depth from the root project. Everything on level 1
can be built simultaneously without any side-effects.