It appears that I was unable to upload a pending release to the
repository.apache.org nexus while I am able to log in to the web
interface using my credentials.

The log of maven gives as reason:

    "Peer not authenticated"

While it is probably completely clear what this descriptive message
means to a core Maven developer, it caused me some griefs (i.e. a
whole morning) to fix this issue. In order to help others that might
run into this particular problem here's what fixed it for me:

It appears that upgrading my lingering Java 6 version on  OS X to
1.6.0_65 has fixed this issue. While not 100% sure, I suspect the
updated Java has newer certificates that make the upload process work
again.

I'd like to see the error handling of Maven to be improved to make
clear that the HTTPS connection could not be established rather than
just "peer not authenticated" due to bad certificates or such.

Martijn Dashorst