Are you running the mojo directly in your testing by any chance?

Eg

mvn short-name:goal

As opposed to

mvn phase

Because if the former, then the phase is null as the execution was not
bound to a phase.

I have not used this specific property before, so cannot speak to whether
it works when bound to a phase, but if your test plugin execution is not
bound to a phase then you would not expect to see a non null value

--
Sent from my phone