A really good podcast on the subject of migration a large project, and large team from subversion to git can be heard at:

http://episodes.gitminutes.com/2013/08/gitminutes-20-mick-wever-on-migrating.html

Also:

http://episodes.gitminutes.com/2013/12/gitminutes-26-campbell-barton-on-tricky.html

was a very good episode on tricky migrations to git. Recommending listening for anyone contemplating such a large migration.

This was a blog post I wrote ages ago on my own svn->git migration:

http://www.theoryinpractice.net/post/1350252794/repository-migration-from-subversion-to-git

Once I got my workflow down with doing filter-branch's it was reasonably painless to extract a repository into smaller repositories. Time consuming, but not toooo difficult.

Mark