On 24 Feb 2014, at 2:48 am, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I guess we need to clear up what I mean by a maintenance line...
>
> We *can/may* cut releases on maintenance / security line... Does not mean
> we *will* more that for non-security/maintenance lines there is ZERO
> possibility of us cutting a release...

As another data point, my reaction was the same as as Dennis' on first reading.
I think the doc could be simplified - perhaps it is more helpful to describe
what will be done, not what can/may be done, but then have avenues to add those
when possible. Say, start with the last stable release as a the
maintenance/security line, but add others where there are willing volunteers to
continue maintaining it. IIUC, if a security issue came in the next few weeks,
it'd probably be fixed in 3.2.x and 3.0.x (not upgrading due to some plugin
incompatibilities), but not 3.1.x (expected to be a smooth upgrade to 3.2.x).
Is that what would realistically happen?

On the components/plugins/wagon side, I don't think there's much need for older
lines, since there are unlikely to be downstream users that can't upgrade to
the latest. The only exception I could think of historically was when Site was
maintained for Maven 2.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter   @brettporter