I believe that we are doing that since commit
c3505e319d759e68425aa3b7177fc4377bf8db77 had landed.

That patch should warn users during the configuration phase when invalid python
/ c++ compiler setups are detected.

Haja, could you please send your config.log directly to me (toensh...@me.com)
as I missed your original post and the archives seem to have removed your
attachment.