On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 9:41 PM, Benjamin Mahler <benjamin.mah...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Let me try to contain the length of this thread, two points don't seem to
> agree my request and benh's reply.
>
> (1) You're saying all non-trivial classes / methods in headers should have
> javadoc, whereas benh is saying APIs. Are these the same? I'd much rather
> see this focused on APIs (i.e. libraries) rather than internal
> implementations (e.g. master / slave) since people operating within the
> latter ideally should be comfortable reading the code. Library users, less
> so.

I find difficult to follow the reasoning here: are you suggesting that
every time a developer uses a "library" function they are supposed to
reverse engineer the code?
that feels not a very efficient way of running a large development team and
it certainly was not the way we rolled at Google :)

On the contrary, due to their frequent and extensive use, IMO library
methods/classes ought to have _extensive_ documentation.

Then again, maybe it's just me caring about productivity in my teams...

> (2) Doing the incremental change will make things inconsistent :( Given
> that doing a javadoc conversion sweep for a library header is not that
> tedious, it seems wise to just have consistency as a forcing function for
> folks to do sweeps. Plus we keep the documentation consistently formatted,
> which seems like a big win!

Sure - and +100 to that!
But, in the meantime, let's not have folks *not* add javadoc (or worse,
demand they remove those they may have already added during code review!)
or require them to do a "sweep" only because they added ONE method and want
to document that.

Again, I'm trying here to lower the bar for participation for folks who are
not (yet) deep experts in Mesos' internals and encourage participation of
people who are excited about contributing functionality to Mesos: if the
cost is to have to "reverse engineer"[*] some obscure parts of libprocess
and spend days (or weeks) trying to figure out how to correctly use the
base libraries, I think we'll all lose in the long run.

Bottom line, Ben - if you don't feel like adding documentation/javadoc to
the methods/classes you contribute, I guess that's fine: but, please, let's
not prevent folks from doing so, that's all I'm saying.

Thanks!

[*] NOTE - I still expect people to intimately understand the functionality
of libprocess/stout and whatever else is already in Mesos proper: however,
that would ideally be gained by studying extensive documentation; looking
at existing and sample code: and experimenting with it.
What I do object to is the extra layer of effort in having to
reverse-engineer large, undocumented and complex areas of the code.