Just because I apparently was not very clear: in the "history" and
"summarized objections" sections of my original mail, I did attempt to
capture all of the objections from this thread and previous
discussions I found (and, just for the sake of thoroughness, I do
actually explicitly cite this thread in the footnotes). If you don't
want to dig through the thread yourself, I hope that this will give
you a good approximation of what happened in that thread.

I see now that I did fail to mention that this thread ended in
nonconsensus rather than an explicit decision against. Sorry about
that. You can also see evidence that the decision was nonconsensus
directly in the JIRA issues and the review I cite -- for example on
JIRA, Alex R mentions removing the newbie tag from the issue because
there is nonconsensus, and the review was discarded, with the cited
reason being nonconsensus.

Hopefully this clarifies these issues.