+1 for consistency

Just a quick note to point out that if you _symlink_ .gitignore, then any
changes folks make to that file (to customize to their needs, eg, ignore
IDE-specific files etc.) would unwittingly become diffs to
.gitignore_template.

A possible alternative may be to _copy_ .gitignore_template to .gitignore,
so that local changes stay that way (as we already ignore .gitignore).
The obvious downside is that changes to the _template do not get reflected
to the .gitignore copy; but those are rare enough that we can easily
address them by dropping an email to this list, perhaps?

(and, yes, using a global ~/.gitignore is a great strategy, but there may
be cases in which it may not be possible/desirable)

I'm easy either way and don't mind whichever we choose; just pointing out a
possible issue.

--
*Marco Massenzio*
http://codetrips.com