On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Zameer Manji <zma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Cong brings up a good point here. Currently Mesos has a very aggressive
> release cadence. This results in several questions as a cluster operator
> and framework author.
>
>    - What is the support from the community/committers for each release?
>    - Do cluster operators and framework authors need to move at the same
>    space at the community?
>    - Will bugfixes be automatically backported?
>
> The lack of clarity here can result in several issues because it is easy
> for the Mesos PMC to cut releases quickly, but it isn't easy for people
> with existing clusters to upgrade at that pace. An aggressive release
> policy without clear support for older releases can leave several users in
> a bad position where they might need to upgrade Mesos through one (or
> more!) releases just to get a critical bugfix.

I think the core reason why Mesos community lacks this is there is not
a central maintainer who only/mostly handles maintenance stuffs,
is responsible for the quality of the whole project, and monitors each
release cycle.

Like Linux kernel, Linus is obviously the one who cuts the base releases
and monitors the overall project, he only takes pull requests from each
subsystem maintainers. Each subsystem maintainer needs to decide
what to send to Linus during this cycle.

Mesos has 20+ committers, all of them commit to the master branch,
which makes things worse without a central maintainer. Mesos release
managers are volunteers (from my observation) from the community
rather than a dedicated one, this makes it hard to find one responsible
for a specific release.

Just my 2 cents.