Unfortunately I basically don't know the answer to any of the questions.
Maybe jpeach can help us a little here.

> Is it just a wrapper bound to a particular clang version?

I actually don't know. It do know that it definitely is not stock, released
version of clang. For example, one of the versions of Apple Clang removed
the implementation of `thread_local` that shipped with stock Clang without
a replacement.

> Why does it exist?

I don't really know. I would guess that they want finer control over what
ships with XCode.

> Also, do you know what the versioning scheme is?

I don't know this either... closest thing I know of is
https://gist.github.com/yamaya/2924292.

Removing support sounds fine to me as long as there are clear OS X / macOS
> instructions on the getting started page, and ideally we could tell people
> that their "clang" is too old at configure time?

Yep, our getting started page already involves installing homebrew, and
`brew install`ing packages such as wget, git, autoconf, etc, so it's as
simple as adding `llvm` to that list.