Dear Apache Mesos Community,

Happy new year! Here's your latest update on happenings in Mesosworld over
the past month.

*Working Groups*

The working groups have been active; here's a brief summary of recent
developments, along with links to the agenda documents. If you see anything
that interests you, please attend in the future! Working group meetings can
be found on the Mesos community calendar
<http://mesos.apache.org/community/#events-calendar>, and you can feel free
to add agenda items beforehand.

*Containerization Working Group*

[Agenda Doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z55a7tLZFoRWVuUxz1FZwgxkHeugtc2nHR89skFXSpU/edit>
]

Next meeting: Feb. 8 @ 9am PST

   - Resource constraints on Windows! (MESOS-6690
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-6690>)
   - Container Storage Interface MVP has landed! (docs
   <http://mesos.apache.org/documentation/csi/>)
   - Standalone container support MVP has landed! (MESOS-7302
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-7302>)
   - Image layer garbage collection MVP has landed! (docs

<http://mesos.apache.org/documentation/latest/container-image/#garbage-collect-unused-container-images>
   )
   - Network ports isolator has landed! (docs
   <http://mesos.apache.org/documentation/latest/isolators/network-ports/>)
   - Planning for 1.6 is underway (planning doc

<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_e-YRvRDoX766ZdzoE1TtXx3eJUx7fBoZkBx_1TwPjY/edit#gid=0>
   )

*Performance Working Group*

[Agenda Doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/12hWGuzbqyNWc2l1ysbPcXwc0pzHEy4bodagrlNGCuQU/edit>
]

Next meeting: Feb. 21 @ 10am PST

   - Benchmarking of "v0" vs. v1 API; results in agenda doc
      - Big improvements in v1 performance in 1.5.0!
      - Room for further optimization

*Community Working Group*

[Agenda Doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vgi434dYkkZHs49EK4F4eMmM-3JG4f3qg-N5En-4ubg/edit#>
]

Next Meeting: Feb. 12 @ 10:30am PST

   - Suggestions for new working groups:
      - API
      - Operator
      - Storage
   - Starting to cross-post future blog posts on Medium
   - Have long list of blog post ideas, need to organize/motivate authors

*1.5.0 Release Update*
The first release candidate for Mesos 1.5.0 went out on the mailing lists,
and subsequently a regression was identified. The fix for MESOS-8481
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-8481> just landed, so a new RC
will be sent out for a vote soon. Watch your inbox!

*Doc-A-Thon*
Thanks to everyone who attended on Jan. 11th for our first doc-a-thon of
2018! Some notable results:

   - Standalone container documentation
   <https://reviews.apache.org/r/65112/>
   - Mesos developer's guide

<https://github.com/apache/mesos/commit/55b66c624f5a2e44fcf87bdcab8932a2c7a2c284#diff-e3e2a9bfd88566b05001b02a3f51d286>
   - Operator API curl commands <https://github.com/apache/mesos/pull/255>
   - WIP: beginner's guide for framework development

We plan to continue with quarterly gatherings to improve our documentation.
Long-term goals include versioned documentation on the website and
automatic generation of API docs from our protobuf definitions. If you have
any desire to help with these initiatives, join the #docs channel on Mesos
Slack <http://mesos.apache.org/community/#slack> or reach out to the
community working group!

*Medium Posts*
Going forward, we'll be cross-posting Apache Mesos blog posts on Medium to
increase exposure, get feedback on engagement, and make it easier to share.
Check out the new Apache Mesos publication <https://medium.com/apache-mesos> on
Medium for the latest content!

That's it for this month; until next time,
-Greg