On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 11:18 AM, Zhitao Li <zhitaoli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Avinash,
>
> We use haproxy of all outgoing traffic. For example, if instance of service
> A wants to talk to service B, what it does is actually call a
> "localhost:<some-port>" backed by the local haproxy instance, which then
> forwards the request to some instance of service B.
>
> In such a situation, if local haproxy is not functional, it's almost true
> that any thing making outgoing requests will not run properly, and we
> prefer to drain the host.

I am assuming the local HAProxy is not run within the purview of Mesos (it
could potentially be run as a stand-alone container starting Mesos 1.5)? So
how would Mesos even know that there is an issue with HAProxy and boil it
up? The problem here seems to be that the containers connectivity is
controlled by entities outside the Mesos domain. Reporting on problems with
these entities seems like a hard problem.

On option I can think of is to inject command health checks for the
containers that are querying the container's endpoitns through the
frontends exposed by the local HAProxy. This would all the detection of any
failure in HAProxy and will boiled up as a Mesos healthcheck failure??