> On May 9, 2018, at 11:51 AM, Andrew Schwartzmeyer <and...@schwartzmeyer.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> There are two parallel efforts underway that would both benefit from
> officially deprecating (and then removing) the Python bindings. The first
> effort is the move to the CMake system: adding support to generate the Python
> bindings was investigated but paused (see MESOS-8118), and the second effort
> is the move to Python 3: producing Python 3 compatible bindings is under
> investigation but not in progress (see MESOS-7163).
>
> Benjamin Bannier, Joseph Wu, and I have all at some point just wondered how
> the community would fare if the Python bindings were officially deprecated
> and removed. So please, if this would negatively impact you or your project,
> let me know in this thread.

Another approach could be to move the bindings from the `mesos` git repo to a
separate repo (either the ASF or in the `mesos` GitHub org). This could
decouple it from the main Mesos build infrastructure and create a project for a
Python community to coalesce around. I think there's value in nominating an
official Python binding, but maybe we don't have to carry that in the same git
repo and build system.