So, I've been working on METRON-813
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/METRON-813> lately and I have an
initial run at it ready to go here
<https://github.com/JonZeolla/metron-bro-plugin-kafka> (squashed history,
see a better history there
<https://github.com/JonZeolla/metron-bro-plugin-kafka/commits/bro-pkg>).
Since the metron-bro-plugin-kafka repo is empty, I can't open a PR against
it on GitHub for review.  Does anybody have a suggestion regarding how to
move forward?  I see two options:
1. I make the initial commit a direct copy of the bro-plugin-kafka folder
<https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-sensors/bro-plugin-kafka>
(I believe this would require a new JIRA for a direct copy), and then open
a PR for the METRON-813 changes to get reviewed via the normal process.
2. I make the initial commit the result of METRON-813, but review occurs
via the mailing list and using my fork.

I prefer 1, but wanted to put it up for discussion.  Once we decide on the
correct approach then I would be happy to put together a testing plan for
the PR as well.

Just to clarify, the general roadmap for getting this used in apache/metron
is:
1.  Create a bro package in apache/metron-bro-plugin-kafka
2.  Update the ansible bro setup
<https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-deployment/roles/bro/tasks>
to install/configure bro-pkg (`pip install bro-pkg && bro-pkg autoconfig`)
and use it to install the apache/metron-bro-plugin-kafka package.

I will also be adding this to the official bro package manager
<https://github.com/bro/packages>, but out of an abundance of caution I
plan to setup ansible to pull the package directly from the
apache/metron-bro-plugin-kafka using bro-pkg instead of going through the
bro/packages package source (which removes the bro/packages dependency).

Feedback on all of the above is welcome.

Jon
--

Jon