Github user cestella commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/737

    Wait, I'm confused, the current behavior is to default to the storm config.
 Why did you pull that into the SensorParserConfig?

    The issue with what you've done here is that when you save out the configs
into zookeeper, you are serializing the object with the values set (including
those defaults).  Now, if someone restarts the topology, those are the values
set regardless of what is set in the storm config.

    Can we please just solve this by some hover-over text indicating if the
field is not set, then the storm defaults are used?  Maybe even indicating what
the default currently is.  I'd have honestly made those values Optional if I
could've (serialization issues caused that not to be the case).

    I guess what I'm saying is that, no, I don't like this approach. :)

---