Github user merrimanr commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/853

    Here are my thoughts on your responses.

    1.  I think we're in agreement.  This is how this PR currently works.
    2. No, saved searches are currently stored client-side.  I think the plan
was to store these server-side but it hasn't been implemented yet.  The only
thing we store in a relational DB at this point are REST user credentials.
This would change if we switch to an LDAP approach for managing authentication
(I think we should) and nothing we be stored in a DB at that point.
    3. Agreed.
    4. Agreed.  I don't see much value in versioning a user's displayable facet
fields.
    5. My point here is that a more flexible store for things like this (user
profile settings) may eliminate this upgrade complexity altogether.
    6. I'm good with that.

---