We have jiras about ‘diverting’ and reading from nifi flows already

On June 5, 2018 at 11:11:45, Casey Stella (ceste...@gmail.com) wrote:

I'd be in strong support of that, Simon. I think we should have some other
NiFi components in Metron to enable users to interact with our
infrastructure from NiFi (e.g. being able to transform via stellar, etc).

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 10:32 AM Simon Elliston Ball <
si...@simonellistonball.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > apache/metron/enrichment/converter/EnrichmentKey.java#L51
> >
> > To put that in english, consider the following:
> >
> > - type - The enrichment type
> > - indicator - the indicator to use
> > - hash(*) - A murmur 3 128bit hash function
> >
> > the key is hash(indicator) + type + indicator
> >
> > This hash prefixing is a standard practice in hbase key design that
> allows
> > the keys to be uniformly distributed among the regions and prevents
> > hotspotting. Depending on how the PutHBaseJSON processor works, if you
> can
> > construct the key and pass it in, then you might be able to either
> > construct the key in NiFi or write a processor to construct the key.
> > Ultimately though, what Carolyn said is true..the easiest approach is
> > probably using the flatfile loader.
> > If you do get this working in NiFi, however, do please let us know
and/or
> > consider contributing it back to the project as a PR :)
> >

> > On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 6:26 AM Charles Joynt <
> > charles.jo...@gresearch.co.uk>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I work as a Dev/Ops Data Engineer within the security team at a
company
> > in
> > > London where we are in the process of implementing Metron. I have
been
> > > tasked with implementing feeds of network environment data into HBase
> so
> > > that this data can be used as enrichment sources for our security
> events.
> > > First-off I wanted to pull in DNS data for an internal domain.
> > >
> > > I am assuming that I need to write data into HBase in such a way that
> it
> > > exactly matches what I would get from the flatfile_loader.sh script.
> > > colleague of mine has already loaded some DNS data using that script,
> so
> > > am using that as a reference.
> > >
> > > I have implemented a flow in NiFi which takes JSON data from a HTTP
> > > listener and routes it to a PutHBaseJSON processor. The flow is
> working,
> > in
> > > the sense that data is successfully written to HBase, but despite
> > (naively)
> > > specifying "Row Identifier Encoding Strategy = Binary", the results
in
> > > HBase don't look correct. Comparing the output from HBase scan
> commands I
> > > see:
> > >
> > > flatfile_loader.sh produced:
> > >
> > > ROW:
> > > \xFF\xFE\xCB\xB8\xEF\x92\xA3\xD9#xC\xF9\xAC\x0Ap\x1E\x00\
> > x05whois\x00\x0E192.168.0.198
> > > CELL: column=data:v, timestamp=1516896203840,
> > > value={"clientname":"server.domain.local","clientip":"192.168.0.198"}
> > >
> > > PutHBaseJSON produced:
> > >
> > > ROW: server.domain.local
> > > CELL: column=dns:v, timestamp=1527778603783,

value={"name":"server.domain.local","type":"A","data":"192.168.0.198"}

> > > From source JSON:
> > >

> > > {"k":"server.domain.local","v":{"name":"server.domain.local"
> > ,"type":"A","data":"192.168.0.198"}}
> > >
> > > I know that there are some differences in column family / field
names,
> > but
> > > my worry is the ROW id. Presumably I need to encode my row key, "k"
in
> > the
> > > JSON data, in a way that matches how the flatfile_loader.sh script
did
> > it.
> > >
> > > Can anyone explain how I might convert my Id to the correct format?
> > > -or-
> > > Does this matter-can Metron use the human-readable ROW ids?
> > >
> > > Charlie Joynt

> > > G-RESEARCH believes the information provided herein is reliable.
While