I'm a little rusty on my C++, but to summarize what I've gathered from this
thread and linked code: The Bro plugin infrastructure does not support a
patch version currently, only major.minor (x.y). But bro-pkg, the bro
package installation mechanism, does support it now. Which is unfortunately
moot bc unlike other 3rd party scripts that can support vX.Y.Z, this is a
plugin and the API does not support the 'Y'.

I think I'm in favor of keeping X.Y (0.2) for now. I would urge this
approach by comparison to calculating significant figures - if my tooling
is only able to calculate 2 decimal places, e.g. 1.23, I shouldn't be
recording 1.230 or 1.230000 as this isn't reflective of the tool's actual
fidelity. Likewise, the Bro plugin API doesn't allow X.Y.Z right now, only
X.Y per Jon's comments. Not strictly speaking an apples to apples
comparison, but it's a justifiable approach imho. Once the plugin
infrastructure supports it, we can add the extra patch version to reflect
this additional available state info.

Best,
Mike