Sheetal,

Thank you for the input.  We appreciate all the hard work you and others
put into OpenSOC to get us to where we are today.

To your points:

- Agreed on reevaluating the bolts that now ship with Storm.  I believe
the HDFS and HBase bolts didn’t quite provide all the functionality needed
and is the reason for custom implementationsm but I will defer to others
who actually worked on those tasks.
- Agreed on changing HbaseConverter to HBaseConverter.  I will update the
spreadsheet.
- Agreed on a common package for HBase related classes.  We should look
more closely at this, any suggestions are welcome of course.
- There is a reason Solr and Elasticsearch classes ended up in separate
projects.  The supported version of Elasticsearch (1.7.4) is a couple
years old and the supported version of Solr is recent.  Locating these in
the same project is challenging because they both depend on very different
versions of Lucene.  Once we update Elasticsearch to a more recent version
such that it depends on the same Lucene version as Solr, keeping them
together in the same project should be much easier.
- Parsers and Enrichments are now decoupled, whereas before they were
included in the same topology.  Now they run in different topologies and
are deployed in separate jars.
- Agreed on the categories.  I believe some in your list are already
represented in the proposed project structure.  “Data Acquisition” is
analogous to the top level “metron-sensors” project. “Data Access” is
represented by the top level “metron-ui” project and the “metron-api”
project within the top level “metron-platform” project.  I like your idea
of having “Active Analysis” and “Deep Analytics” projects as well.  The
real-time pieces are represented in various sub projects in
“metron-platform” but I think there will eventually be a need for a “Deep
Analytics” project which is missing.  Maybe we should include a
“metron-analytics” project under “metron-platform”?  If not now, in the
future when we deliver more functionality in this area?

Ryan Merriman