I spent some time researching the Knox documentation and building custom
services (hosted in Knox) was not well-documented.  Spring is a great
choice for that and I didn't really get any other feedback on which
application development framework to use.  So that's what I went with.

I think we should plan on adding Knox in front to leverage all the nice
security features and integrations.  That is how most Knox integrations
(HFDS, Storm, etc) are architected.

Ryan