I like slack.  I don’t think I would complain if the group chose to move to
it, but I can see some possible issues

1. The message limit.   Although I currently don’t do this, I have in the
past had a persistant screen session + irssi + logging to keep   irc logs
etc going back in time.  This is not possible with slack as far as I know.
And it is all fun and games until you look for something and see the 10,000
message limit.  Would we care about this is the question.
2. Freenode is the apache ‘standard’.  Are there any other incubator
products doing this?  Would there then be BOTH irc and slack and further
split ourselves ( public email lists + irc + slack )?
3. Some may like the fact that irc isn’t or can’t be on your phone, or
emailing you notifications ;)