I also introduced a Clock object and testing mechanism back in METRON-235 -
https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/pull/156
Sample test utilizing the Clock object here -
https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/blob/master/metron-platform/metron-pcap-backend/src/test/java/org/apache/metron/pcap/query/PcapCliTest.java

That being said, it's probably better to use the new java.time fixed clock
implementation in all places, as referenced by Matt. I'm agreed with
everyone on a quick fix for the build and a follow-on PR to introduce
appropriate dep injection for testing.

AFA string dates with no year, we had something similar show up in the
Snort parser. There ended up being a configuration option in Snort to
enable a year to be printed, but we may want to offer alternatives for
other parsers. Regardless of how we approach this it gets messy when you
start thinking about potentially different src/dest timezones across a new
year boundary in addition to data replay. I would urge our main goal here
to be idempotency.

Best,
Mike