I am suggesting that, yes.  The configs are essentially the same as yours,
except there is an override specified at the top level.  Without that, in
order to specify both HDFS and ES have batch sizes of 100, you have to
explicitly configure each.  It's less that I'm trying to have backwards
compatibility and more that I'm trying to make the majority case easy: both
writers write everything to a specified index name with a specified batch
size (which is what we have now).  Beyond that, I want to allow for
specifying an override for the config on a writer-by-writer basis for those
who need it.