One thing that I really like about Nick's suggestion is that it allows
writer-specific configs in a clear and simple way.  It is more complex for
the default case (all writers write to indices named the same thing with a
fixed batch size), which I do not like, but maybe it's worth the compromise
to make it less complex for the advanced case.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, Nick, it's interesting;  I'm beginning to
lean your way.