Does this mean we’ll have non manual rest/web deployment soon?

On March 22, 2017 at 14:47:34, Ryan Merriman (merrim...@gmail.com) wrote:

Bumping this thread. Looks like we have several +1s so I propose we move
to the next step. I'm anxious to get this done because these tests would
have saved me time over the last couple weeks. The management UI in
https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/pull/484 has a set of e2e tests
being maintained in another branch so those could also be included in this
test suite when the UI makes it into master.

Ideas for an "Acceptance Testing Framework"? Could Ansible be good fit for
this since we already have it in our stack?

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Michael Miklavcic <
michael.miklav...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, yes I agree. In my experience with e2e/acceptance tests, they're best
> kept general with an emphasis on verifying that all the plumbing works
> together. So yes, there are definite edge cases I think we'll want to
test
> here, but I say that with the caveat that I think we should ideally cover
> as many non-happy-path cases in unit and integration tests as possible.
As
> an example, I don't think it makes sense to cover most of the profiler
> windowing DSL language edge cases in acceptance tests instead of or in
> addition to unit/integration tests unless there is something specific to
> the integration with a given an environment that we think could be
> problematic.

> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Casey Stella <ceste...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > No, I'm saying that they shouldn't be restricted to real-world
use-cases.
> > The E2E tests I laid out weren't real-world, but they did exercise the
> > components similar to real-world use-cases. They should also be able to
> be
> > able to tread outside of the happy-path for those use-cases.
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Michael Miklavcic <
> > michael.miklav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > "I don't think acceptance tests should loosely associate with real
> uses,
> > > but they should
> > > be free to delve into weird non-happy-pathways."
> > >
> > > Not following - are you saying they should *tightly* associate with
> real
> > > uses and additonally include non-happy-path?

> > > any)
> type
> > > of

> some