Repost from user@storm:

From: Harsha Chintalapani <st...@harsha.io>
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 8:51 AM
To: "u...@storm.apache.org" <u...@storm.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Valid Kafka version for Storm 1.0.2

Hi Anis,

        We've two kafka connectors now. One uses old consumer API (Simple
Consumer) https://github.com/apache/storm/tree/master/external/storm-kafka

and there is new storm-kafka-client which uses new consumer API
https://github.com/apache/storm/tree/master/external/storm-kafka-client

The way we build connectors are not necessarily tied to a specific version , as
long as the client APIs are backward compatible you are free to use any version.

In case of 1, You can use kafka version from 0.8.x to 0.10.x

In case of 2, We recommend you use 0.10.0.1 onwards as thats when the kafka
client APIs are stabilized and had critical bug-fixes.

Thanks,

Harsha