Actually, METRON-797 (https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/pull/490)
is inspired by that work, Dave.
Specifically here are the differences:

   - The mpack work is not included
   - It's based on 793, so it uses storm-kafka-client rather than
   storm-kafka
   - It adds a flag when starting the parsers to pass the security protocol
   and sets up the writers and the spout automatically
   - The core extension points (flux properties) are set up like in that
   PR, to make the follow-on work easier

What's left is to pull the great work on the mpack out of there and get it
working as a follow-on PR, which I created METRON-799 (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/METRON-799) to accomplish.

Casey