On 1/24/07, Julien Vermillard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Le mercredi 24 janvier 2007 à 20:59 +0900, Trustin Lee a écrit :
> Hi folks,
>
> 1) We need 'built-in per-service performance counter in IoService'.
>
> In the recent talk with Julien about throughput monitoring, we realized
that
> we need to reapproach to the throughput monitoring issue from a
different
> point of view.
>
> Until now, we focused on providing per-session throughput.  IoSession
> provided appropriate performance counters to calculate per-session
> throughput, but IoService didn't.  But what would an administrator want
> see from his management console?  Julien and I think it's not throughput
for
> an individual session but throughput for the service he or she is
managing.

Actualy you can see the two, the per service stats  are in the
StatColector, and IoSession stats attached to them. Basicly per service
stats are sum of active session stats, plus addition of the closed
sessions in the last polling period.

True.  What I wanted to say is that we need to *focus* on per-service
statistics rather than per-session statistics.  Per-service statistics can
be calculated more easily and it's not for now.  We need to fix it in 2.0.

For now, I/O threads doesn't provide any performance counter from the
> service standpoint, so we have a lot of difficulties in calculating
> meaningful performance factors without slowing down a network
application.
> Of course, we still need to monitor an individual session's performance
> counters, but not usually for most cases, especially for stateless
protocols
> like HTTP.

Computing the per service, from collected read/write totals in IoService
that will be much faster and won't need to compute all the per session
stats. I think the per session throughput stats needs to be enabled
manualy by the user, if needed.

I can't agree more, either.

2) Gaston's patch

> Gaston's patch (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-332)
contains
> several interesting ideas.  We could probably borrow his idea that uses
> queue to reduce synchronization in 1.0.x.  Other stuff would be
incorporate
> with the 'built-in per-service performance counter in IoService' because
> there's no backward compatibility in the patch.
>
> I must admit that we have design flaw in per-service performance counter
> calculation, and it is hard to fix it without breaking backward
> compatibility or API addition.  Resolving this issue in trunk (
> 2.0-M1-SNAPSHOT) would be the better option, although it breaks my
heart.
> :(

For 1.X we need to fix synchro issues. for 2.X we need to change the API
for being able to compute per service stats without needing to poll all
the IoSessions. It'll improve performance a for people who just want to
see the service throughtput.

Good.  What do you think about it, Gaston?

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6