Hello,
I implemented CumulativeProtocolDecoder.doDecode() in my subclass of
CumulativeProtocolDecoder.
In my doDecode(), the most straight-forward way I could figure out of
decoding data is reading fields(Integers, Bytes, Booleans, etc.) of my POJO
step by step following the protocol, until the work is done or an
java.nio.BufferUnderflowException is thrown, which means data not sufficient
for decoding. In the later case, I reset the ByteBuffer to the previous
position before invocation of doDecode().

So I keep thinking that this exception handling aspect should be done by a
super class of many real-protocol concerned decoders, maybe the
CumulativeProtocolDecoder itself.

Here's a example patch to describe my idea:

http://www.nabble.com/file/p12938622/CPD.patch CPD.patch

Thanks.