Emmanuel Lecharny-3 wrote:

> While looking at the abstract class, I found some methods with this kind
> of code :
>
>     public final WriteFuture write(Object message, SocketAddress
> remoteAddress) {
>         if (message == null) {
>             throw new NullPointerException("message");
>         }
>
> Wouldn't be a perfect case for an assert ? Like :
>
>     public final WriteFuture write(Object message, SocketAddress
> remoteAddress) {
>         assert message != null : "Null messages are not allowed";
>
> wdyt ?

NO!
There are recommendations from SUN, which tells you where to use assert and
where not. Method arguments checking per assert is definitive a no-go!
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/lang/assert.html#usage
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/lang/assert.html#usage
(See first point!)

regards and a happy new year,