Actually I already made a Mina 2.x version that is in the G sandbox ;-)

Jeff

Kevan Miller wrote:

On Jan 29, 2008, at 7:28 PM, Mike Heath wrote:

Alex Karasulu wrote:
Hi,

Please excuse the cross post but it's quite necessary. Furthermore people should not feel like they cannot cross post responses so please feel free.

It looks like the two versions of the http client based on MINA are starting
to diverge.  I've noticed the other day that some of the fixes for bugs
already solved by one group are being re-implement all over again over again by another. It's a shame to have that happen so perhaps we can take some
concrete steps to prevent this divergence from progressing.

As a first step I've cleaned up and restructured the Asyncweb code base and
posted this email here on the new directory structure in Subversion:

 *http://tinyurl.com/ypmbd3

*So I'm sending out this cross post in the hopes of bringing the two groups
together as one unified community which apparently has the same goal in
mind: a fast low-resource consuming asynchronous http client. What ever it takes, I'm sure the MINA PMC is more than willing to accommodate. If you have trusted committers already working on this in the Geronimo community there is no reason why we cannot trust them to continue working on it here
at MINA's Asyncweb project.  Let's open up discussions on this.

I totally agree with Alex on this.  It looks there are fixes in the G
branch that haven't made it to the MINA branch.  How can bridge the gap
in communication as well as the gap in bug fixing?

My opinion is that we need to stop all work on the G sandbox branch and
move all work over to MINA.  Is there anything impeding that? ...besides
a lot of work merging the changes...

Thanks Alex and Mike.

So, as we discussed the last time, the community members that have been active in this area are Jeff Genender, Sangjin Lee, and Rick McGuire. You already know Jeff. Have you reached out to Sangjin and Rick? I'd urge them both to become involved in the Mina community, as their time and interest permit.

Personally, I'm certainly in favor of seeing a united effort in creating an async http client. Mina would seem to be a natural home for this support (since Mina 2.x is moving up the stack and implementing protocols). I think our community would be quite happy to receive this capability by consumng Mina technology. Given the current state of our two projects, I think it's somewhat doubtful that the Geronimo project will end up releasing the AsyncHTTPClient code in our sandbox.

I can understand, however, if Rick and Sangjin see value in the current codebase -- being based on a released version of Mina (1.1.2) and perhaps at a different point in terms of stability and function. I suspect that this might be part of the reason why they haven't become involved in the 2.x development work occurring at Mina.

So, one possible solution that occurs to me is to transfer the current 1.1.x code in Geronimo sandbox to the Mina project. This might allow Rick and Sangjin to complete their work on the current codebase and also ease their transition towards merging code and fixes into the Mina 2.x codebase. Alternatively, we can leave the code in Geronimo sandbox while Sangjin and Rick transition their focus to the Mina 2.x support.

Will leave it to the Mina project, Rick, and Sangjin to say what makes the most sense.

--kevan