On Mar 3, 2008, at 12:22 PM, Sangjin Lee wrote:

I haven't had a chance to add my use case: the "scatter-and-gather"
situation where one uses a completion queue to handle the result. Hopefully
I'll do that some time this week...
I also would like to discuss how to get back to the request while processing the response. It is often desirable and sometimes even necessary to find
out the request from the response.  How should we address this?

One could obviously have a direct reference to the Request from the
Response, but there are drawbacks. It basically means that the requests will stick around until the response goes out of scope. This may have some
negative consequences especially if requests are large objects and/or
mutable.

Another approach might be to refer only to certain parts of the request from the response; e.g. the request URL. However, it's not clear if it's only the request URL callers would be interested in, and then the list of these
attributes may grow pretty quickly.

What do others think?

I like the idea of being able to attach a user object, or handle if you will, to the request. This handle will be passed back in the response.

Regards,
Alan