Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2008, at 9:03 PM, Mike Heath wrote:
>
>> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> This seems like a good idea.  I have some questions.
>>>
>>> When we cut a release of this code, what version will it be? What will
>>> be its Maven group and artifact id?
>>>
>>> What about the other AsyncWeb client?  It looks like people are
>>> modifying that quite heavily.  Are we going to need to do a pre-2.0
>>> release of that as well?
>>
>> Now you're asking hard questions that I'm not sure I have a good answer
>> for.  I think this will take some discussing.
>>
>> To get the discussion started, I'll suggest that for AHC we use the
>> Maven group 'org.apache.asyncweb' and for the artifact id we use 'ahc'.
>> For the version, how about 1.0?
>>
>> For AsyncWeb client, I think we should use the group
>> 'org.apache.asyncweb' and the artifact id 'client'.
>
> Seems good to me.
>
> What about the work that's currently being done on the "old" asyncweb
> client?  What are the plans for that?  I ask about this because it looks
> like someone is actively working on it.  Will we also have a 1.0 release
> of org.apache.asyncweb:client?

I think we should move the "old" asyncweb client (a.k.a. AHC) over to a
branch in AsyncWeb and continue to maintain it there.

I think we should release all of AsyncWeb (client, server, codec,
extras) together as a 1.0 release.  Because both client and server
depend heavily on AsyncWeb commons, this makes sense, IMO.

In the AsyncWeb client project, I would like to move to the API that I
proposed earlier and was discussed on the mailing list.  Having code
that everyone can see and tinker with will make it easier to facilitate
discussion.  It's going to take a lot of work and creativity to come up
with an API that can accomplish all the things we've been discussing as
well as remain consistent between the client and server sides of AsyncWeb.

So to summarize:
 - We move AHC from Geronimo sandbox to a branch in AsyncWeb and
maintain it from there (I would like to see an AHC release soon too.)
 - For AHC we use the group name o.a.asyncweb, the artifact id 'ahc' and
the version 1.0
 - For the new AsyncWeb client we use the group name o.a.asyncweb and
the artifact id 'client' this will also have the version number '1.0'
and will be released with the collective AsyncWeb project.
 - I'll move the new client API we've been discussing into AsyncWeb
client so we start developing it and continue discussing it

Is everyone ok if we move forward with this plan?  Do we need to call
for a vote?

-Mike