Hi,

comments inline

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:42:37 +0530
"ravinder singh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Following are my requirements from MINA:
>
> 1. Around 10k concurrent persistent connections.
> 2. Message receive rate approx: 1000 msg/sec
> 3. Message sent rate approx: 20 times receive/input rate.
>
> I am sure that MINA can handle this rate... right?
>
> Currently I am using MINA 1.1.0 but have never done any performance
> run on that.
> We are trying to make some changes on server side so I thought it
> will be good if we can migrate to
> MINA 2.0 (should require only 1-2 hr as we haven't customized
> anything in that).
>
> Before doing this I need to clarify a few doubts:
>
> 1. Is MINA 2.0 (M2 or any other release)  production ready ?

Well no it's not a stable release in term of API. That mean for M3 you
will probably need to change your code. Anyway I use it in prod,
knowing for upgrade I'll need to change your code.

> 2. What should be the right input & output buffer size (Messages can
> vary in size, so we are using
>    \n as delimiter, hence currently using TextLineCodecFactory. Does
> size matter here?)

There is no rule of thumb for that, I think the best is to try to find
a value that are fitting the average data size and do tests for finding
the best value.

> 3. Configuration of Thread-pools is removed in MINA 2.0, so I think
> it will internally manage the whole thing efficiently... right?

Right by default your Aceeptor is created with the best know
configuration, anyway if you need you can override those values.

> It would be great if anyone can help me in this... It's very urgent
> for me (need to get the service live on Monday)...
>
> Any suggestion regarding the configuration (s/w or h/w[current is
> Linux box, 64-bit, 16GB RAM, Java 6.0....]) I should use will be a
> added advantage... :)

From my tests, Sun 1.6 JVM is the fastest for MINA applications. Then
the size of the iron will be dependent of your business code too :)

Julien