> You have to know that we already have AsyncWeb (http), FtpServer, Dns, Ntp,
> Dhcp, Kerberos and Ldap implemented on top of MINA (even if those projects
> are shared between MINA and Directory, for historical reasons).

DNS, NTP, DHCP and other implementation in ApacheDS prompted me to
initiate this. I never knew they existed
till I dived into ApacheDS code, and I hit the Holy Grail. The code at
ApacheDS helped me a lot in refining my MINA understanding
Not completely sure, but snmp4j folks were also planning to use MINA
for transport layer.

> It would be interesting to give more focus on each of those projects, in
> MINA, and to increase the base supported protocols. Another aspect would be
> to define some clear API for protocol like LDAP, Kerberos, etc, in a way
> it's possible to implement them directly, without having to take care of the
> intern of the codec. It's not so easy ...

Agree, will be a big challenge by itself. And that's where all the fun is :-)