Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> Hey
>
> Over at FtpServer, we run a lot of unit tests but starting the server
> and then letting a client (in our case commons-net) interact with it,
> testing for correct outcomes. I'm thinking something similar would be
> a good idea for Vysper but fail to find any such tests (besides
> org.apache.vysper.smack.BasicClient but it looks more like something
> which is run interactively during development). What do you think?

For testing new functionality (mostly handlers), starting the server is
not neccessary (and that's a big plus). Just testing the handler in
isolation is usually sufficient.

At some point, we might need that integration tests, to make sure
everything works properly together, though.

What do you intend to use this end-to-end testing for?

Integration tests for XMPP may prove difficult, because
+ XMPP is XML and the way elements are closed or allowance of arbitrary
whitespaces can add for a lot of noise, elements order may be arbitrary etc.
+ stanzas may come out of order, too
+ extensions are manyfold
+ tracking session state is easier with our own testing facilities

 Bernd