On Jan 19, 2010, at 10:45 AM, Emmanuel LŽcharny wrote:

Alan D. Cabrera a écrit :

Just one more thing that I noted in the class, there are no log
statements. Dom't we need them?

I'm against logging exceptions if we're re-throwing them unless we print out some critical piece of information that cannot be discerned by any other method. I say this from experience where I had to slog through millions of log statements generated by one exception where every well meaning layer printed something out.
IMO, we should log :
- where we got the exception if we know that no log has already been generated

I'm against this since you usually have no idea if someone else has logged the error.

- if and only if the log adds some value to what has already be loaded

Agreed. I think that "unless we print out some critical piece of information that cannot be discerned by any other method." catches this case.

- In some case, it might be interesting to use a specific logger. For instance, if you grab a new connection to a LDAP serve,r and get an exception, using a dedicated logger can help when analysing specifically all the LDAP related issues.

Interesting idea but my experience has been that you need a "larger" context to make sense of things. I think that if we did have a dedicated logger then we would log to both w/ the chattier logging going to the dedicated logger.

Regards,
Alan