On Feb 4, 2010, at 1:48 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

Hi,

some more thoughts, as I'd like to define precisely what is an IoService.

Looking at the existing code, I would define an IoService as a base Interface for Acceptor and Connector, describing the relationship between all their components, namely :
- the chain
- the handler
- the configuration
- a state (active/not active, number of sessions, is the service is disposed, or being disposed...)
- the write log (messages waiting to be written to the client)

I'm not convinced that the write log accessors should be a separate component. In fact, I would rather see that as a part of the service's state.

Is that correct? Fo I miss something here ?

Also there is some strange method present in this interface, like broadcast(). I'm not sure it should be a part of the IoService interface, but rather moved to IoAcceptor (does it make sense for a Connector to boradcast a message ?)

I'm not a big fan of tightly coupling the Acceptor and Connector via a base interface IoService unless there's a concrete and compelling use case where I would want to interchangeably use either.

I also think that the modus operandi for the API redesign is to start w/ apps first, generate interfaces that support those apps, then fill in the guts. Starting with the existing API tends to limit the possible ideas and one tends to accidentally bring in some of the less worthwhile bits.

I invite people to look at my HTTP code in my sandbox where I am sketching out some ideas of a possible mina 3 API. It's a sketch and there's a ton of bits that have not even been thought off. I welcome your comments.

Regards,
Alan