I am testing sshd 1.2.0 against a bunch of devices that we are currently
accessing just fine using version 0.8.0. I’m running into problems during
the authentication phase when logging into Cisco ASA devices. I am seeing
logs like [1] which appear to indicate that the SSHD library is sending the
SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_REQEUST packet under the ‘ssh-connection’ service name
which I would expect to see as ‘ssh-userauth’. I’m no SSH expert so I may
not understand this correctly, but the ASA devices simply don’t respond to
this packet/request and my session login eventually times-out.

When testing the same device with v0.8.0 I see that the login process seems
to jump straight to 'ssh-userauth' after key exchange as indicated by the
logs at [2]. This works fine with the devices and the session executes
normally.

Any ideas here? Is it OK for SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_REQUEST packets to be sent
with service name 'ssh-connection'?

If this is normal, is there a way to work with devices that don't seem to
respond to these packets?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give on this.

[1]
07:51:08.022 [main] DEBUG o.a.s.c.s.ClientUserAuthService -
auth(ClientSessionImpl[xxxx@1.2.3.4:22])[ssh-connection] send
SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_REQUEST for 'none'

[2]
07:43:54.266 [NioProcessor-2] INFO  o.a.s.c.session.ClientSessionImpl -
Received SSH_MSG_NEWKEYS
07:43:54.277 [NioProcessor-2] INFO  o.a.s.c.session.ClientSessionImpl - Send
SSH_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST for ssh-userauth
07:43:54.490 [NioProcessor-2] DEBUG o.a.s.c.session.ClientSessionImpl -
Received packet SSH_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT

Matthew Pitts

Developer
Security Solutions Design & Automation

Wells Fargo Bank | Tel 336.608.3332 | Cell 336.202.3913 | Kernersville, NC |
MAC D9693-010
matthew.w.pi...@wellsfargo.com