Hi Roy,

On 10/02/2020 16:00, Roy Lenferink wrote:
Hello MINA developers,

I noticed MINA is still serving its site from SVN with help of the Apache
CMS.

Yes. It has been this way for around a decade (actually, as soon as the CMS was proposed). before that we were using a buggy Confluence -> website generator.

At the Apache Celix project we decided to move away from the CMS and move
towards git for serving our website [1]. The master branch contains the
actual
website sources whereas the generated website is served from the asf-site
branch.
Hugo is being used as static website generator. Content is written in
Markdown.

How different is it from the CMS syntax ? We have quite a complex template to manage the sub-projects, and I would be interested to know what it meant to convert the MINA site from The ASF CMS to Hugo...

I experimented a bit with MINA its site and have something working with Hugo
as well now. An example of its output is (for demo purposes only) available
on [2]

Moving to git can enlarge the visibility of how projects are functioning.
Next
to that, new contributors can just create a pull request against the website
repository if they find anything they want to improve. And a 'Edit on
GitHub'
button can be added as well to the site, e.g. an example of a page on the
Celix website [3]

I'm quite interesting to move away from the ASF CMS for at least 3 reasons :

- git

- being sure that we still can update the site when the ASF CMS will be decommissioned.

- generated docs update are a PITA (with frequent removal of them due to some bad manipulations)

OTOH, I don't want to spend days on such a task...

If the community is interested in this move what I propose:
- Someone from the PMC to request a new git repository for the website via
[4] called e.g. mina-site
- Me creating the pull request from the repository I am temporarily using
for the website contents [5] to the official mina-site repository
- In the meantime discuss with INFRA about the best way to host the
gen-docs (it could be part of the repo in the /static/ folder, however if
there
is a better way it is best to discuss this upfront).

yes, this is a kind of a concern. Any system that is simpler than what we currently have withe The ASF CMSl would be a relief. I can't count the number of times I have had to reinject those generated doc because there was a mistake and they were simply removed by the process...

- Create a Jenkins job to automatically build the site after changes happen
on the master branch.
- When the pull request is reviewed and merged ask INFRA to move over
from the current svnpubsub to the gitpubsub approach and remove MINA
from the Apache CMS.

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this :)

All in all, I'm interested !

Thanks !

Best regards,
Roy